Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
What is Flixotide Diskus
Fluticasone Propionate, the active component of Flixotide Diskus 250 mcg, is used to alleviate inflammation in the lungs and prevent wheezing, shortness of breath, and Asthma attacks.
It acts as a preventer inhaler as it prevents Asthma attacks and helps patients with Lung inflammation.
It also contains Lactose Monohydrate, an inactive ingredient, to enhance the stability of active ingredients in inhalers.
Flixotide Diskus 100 mcg is a prescription-only medication that can only be purchased with a doctor's prescription.
What is Flixotide Diskus used for
Fluticasone Propionate, the central salt of Flixotide Diskus 250 mcg, treats Asthma symptoms and prevents Asthma attacks.
Asthma is a long-term disorder in which the air passages in the lungs become constricted because of inflammation and muscle tightening. It may produce extra mucus.
It can make breathing difficult and result in coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
Fluticasone Propionate is additionally effective in treating Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
COPD is a lung disease that causes airflow obstruction and breathing difficulties.
Flixotide Diskus - 250 mcg is also recommended for treating COPD along with long-acting Bronchodilators (such as long-acting Beta-agonists).
Working of Flixotide Diskus
The main ingredient of Flixotide Diskus 20 mcg is Fluticasone Propionate.
Fluticasone Propionate is a member of the class of drugs known as Corticosteroids.
Corticosteroids are similar to Cortisol, a hormone produced by the Adrenal Glands. Cortisol has many vital biological functions, including inflammation control.
Fluticasone inhibits the production of chemical messengers (Prostaglandins) responsible for airway inflammation (swelling).
It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that reduce Lung inflammation effectively.
How do you use Flixotide Diskus
Always adhere to your physician's instructions regarding inhaler usage and puff count.
- Even when asymptomatic, take this medication consistently for the greatest benefit
- Inhale this medication as prescribed by your doctor. Generally, it is recommended to use this twice daily
- Rinse your mouth with warm water after every use to prevent mouth and throat infections. It will prevent adverse effects like oral thrush
- As instructed, wipe the mouthpiece of the inhaler at least once per week
Always take Flixotide in the dosage prescribed by your doctor.
Consuming it above the recommended levels can be risky and lead to side effects.
Consult a doctor immediately if you experience any overdose symptoms.
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose of Flixotide, take it when you realize it. If the next dose is already scheduled, skip this one.
Don't double the amount to compensate for the one you forgot. Overconsumption may have adverse effects.
Flixotide is available in various strengths other than Flixotide Diskus - 250 mcg:
Side effects of Flixotide Diskus
If you take Flixotide Diskus - 250 mcg as prescribed, you may not experience side effects.
However, its prohibition may lead to complications such as
- Vision issues
- Increased heart rate
- Allergic reactions
- Sore throat
- Fungal infection of the mouth
- Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle, or joint) pain
- Respiratory tract infection
These adverse effects are rare, and relatively few people experience them. If they cause you concern, consult your doctor.
Fluticasone Propionate, the active ingredient in Flixotide Diskus, may interact with other medications, diseases, and foods.
Flixotide could interact with other medications you may be taking. It may have adverse effects or prevent the medication from working correctly.
You must inform your doctor about your complete medical history to avoid this situation.
It is suggested that you report all of your disorders to your doctor to prevent drug-disease interactions:
- Ocular Toxicities
- Viral infection
- Ocular Herpes Simplex
- Bacterial infection
- Hepatic Impairment
- Fungal infection
Precautions before using Flixotide Diskus
One must take some cautions when taking Flixotide Diskus - 250 mcg:
- Stop using this medication if you are allergic to Fluticasone Propionate or any of its other ingredients
- It is ineffective immediately and should not be used to treat sudden breathing difficulties Use your Rescue inhaler to relieve sudden breathing difficulties
- Don't take this medicine during pregnancy unless necessary. Consult your physician before using this medication during pregnancy
- If you are Breastfeeding, you should seek medical advice before relying on his medicine
- It may cause Dizziness and Blurred vision. Try not to operate a motor vehicle or machinery while taking this medication
- Do not alter your dosage or stop taking your medication suddenly. It may make the situation worse
- Flixotide Diskus must be stored at room temperature in a dry, hygienic, and dark place
- Before purchasing, one should check the contents to ensure they have not been tampered with or scratched
- Keep it at a place away from children and pets
Frequently Asked Questions (FAOs)
Is Flixotide a steroid inhaler?
Flixotide contains a medicine called Fluticasone Propionate. This medication is categorized as a Corticosteroid, also known as a Steroid. They are not "Anabolic Steroids," which are occasionally misused by athletes.
Can Flixotide cause coughing?
This medicine may cause Paradoxical Bronchospasm, which worsens breathing or causes wheezing. After taking this medication, consult your doctor immediately if you have coughing, trouble breathing, or wheezing.
When should I take my orange inhaler?
The recommended dosage for the inhaler is one or two puffs, twice daily. Regular use of your Fluticasone inhaler is essential for managing your symptoms. Use it regularly, even if you have no symptoms.
What happens if you take too much Flixotide?
Rarely, the following adverse effects like round face, decrease in bone density, and eye problems (e.g., Cataract, Glaucoma) may occur in some patients, particularly those taking higher doses of Flixotide puffer for an extended period
What age is Flixotide for?
Flixotide is for asthma prevention in adults and children above one year of age.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at email@example.com