Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About the brand name of the drug
Duolin inhaler (Levosalbutamol 50 mcg and Ipratropium 20 mcg) is a medical formulation in the form of an inhaler. It is manufactured by the India based Cipla Ltd. The active pharmaceutical ingredients which are responsible for the bronchodilation effect are Ipratropium bromide and levosalbutamol sulphate. Levosalbutamol and Ipratropium together result in the relaxation of smooth muscles of the airway and helps to treating Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
About the drug
Duolin inhaler (50 mcg + 20 mcg) is a schedule H drug formulation containing Levosalbutamol and Ipratropium as its active pharmaceutical ingredient which helps in the treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (COPD) and other respiratory disorders. It comes in the strengths of 50 + 20 mcg and 100 + 40 mcg and it is easily available in local medical shops, drug stores and online pharmacies.
Some other brands equivalent to Duolin inhaler (50 mcg + 20 mcg) are
- Combi-air MD
About salt of the drug
Duolin inhaler (50 mcg + 20 mcg) contains Levosalbutamol 50 mcg and Ipratropium 20 mcg. Levosalbutamol is a beta-2-adrenergic agonist which shows a relaxation effect on the smooth muscles of the airway and helps in treating Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Ipratropium is an anticholinergic which blocks the action of acetylcholine and thus potentiates the bronchodilation effect in the smooth muscles of the airway. Duolin inhaler (50 mcg + 20 mcg) is used for the treatment of the following:
• Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Medical Uses of the drug
Duolin inhaler (50 + 20 mcg) is used for the treatment of
• Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD):
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a chronic lung disorder in which the patient faces difficulty to empty out the air in the lungs i.e. airflow obstruction. Because of this obstruction, the patient experiences difficulty in breathing and get tired easily because of the effortful breathing. COPD is a general term for conditions that include emphysema, chronic bronchitis, or a combination of both.
Working of the drug
Duolin inhaler consists of Levosalbutamol sulfate and Ipratropium bromide. Levosalbutamol is beta 2 adrenergic agonist which activated the beta 2 adrenergic receptor and lowers the intracellular calcium concentrations which result in the relaxation of smooth muscles whereas Ipratropium, a synthetic quaternary ammonium compound, which is an anticholinergic. Ipratropium bromide blocks the muscarinic receptors which decrease the levels of cGMP and results in the decreased contractility of smooth muscles and thereby helps in treating COPD.
The use of Duolin inhaler (50 + 20 mcg) may be associated with some side effects which are as follows:
Some severe side effects of Duolin inhaler includes:
• Chest pain and discomfort
• Viral infections
• Difficulty in swallowing
• Increased heartbeat
• Swelling of lips, tongue, face, eyelids
Some other side effects of using Duolin inhaler include the following:
• Shortness of breath
• Sore throat
• Runny nose
• Muscle pain and cramps
• Skin rashes and spotting
• Decreased appetite
• Back pain
Promptly consult to your doctor if you experience any of the listed side effects lasts longer than usual.
How to use
Duolin inhaler (50+ 20 mcg) should be used only when it is prescribed by a doctor and some instructions should be kept in mind while using Duolin inhaler which are as follows:
• Check the label for directions before using Duolin inhaler
• Shake the inhaler well before you take a puff.
• Press down the inhaler while breathing in and hold your breath for 10 seconds.
• Repeat the same until you’ve taken the number of puffs as prescribed by the doctor.
• Rinse your mouth properly with water and spit it out after taking the dose.
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Duolin inhaler contains Levosalbutamol and Ipratropium which are known to show drug interactions with some drugs which are as follows:
• Beta blockers: Duolin inhaler when taken with beta-blockers like propranolol, atenolol can reduce the effect of both the medications due to their opposing effects in the body.
• Anti-asthmatics: Formoterol, when taken with Duolin can potentiate the cardiac side effects of Duolin inhaler.
• Diuretics: Furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, due to similar actions, when taken with Duolin inhaler can potentially decrease the blood pressure.
• Antifungals: Antifungals like ketoconazole, Aripiprazole can increase the cardiac side effects when taken with Duolin inhaler
When to avoid taking the drug
Duolin inhaler should only be taken when it is prescribed by the doctor and not otherwise. Use of Duolin inhaler should be avoided in the conditions as follows:
• Do not take Duolin inhaler unless it is prescribed by the doctor.
• It is not recommended to use Duolin inhaler in patients who are allergic to levosalbutamol, salbutamol, atropine, epinephrine or its derivatives.
• Patients suffering from Tachyarrhythmias should avoid using Duolin inhaler as it can worsen the patient’s condition.
• Patients suffering from hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy should also avoid Duolin inhaler as it can aggravate the condition of the patient.
• Duolin inhaler should be avoided for use in patients below the age of 12.
Things to avoid when using the drug
One should avoid certain things while using Duolin inhaler and some of which are mentioned as below:
• Do not use Duolin inhaler unless it is prescribed by a registered doctor
• Avoid using doses more than prescribed by the doctor as excessive use can cause severe side effects and may also prove fatal in extreme cases.
• Do not discontinue the therapy without prior consultation with your doctor.
General Information and Precautions
Duolin inhaler should be used exactly as it is prescribed by the doctor and the following points should be keep in mind while using it.
• Do not consume Duolin inhaler more or less than recommended by your doctor.
• If you missed a dose, take it as soon as possible and do not take the missed dose if it’s almost time for another.
• Keep the Duolin inhaler out of the reach and sight of children.
- Alcohol: The interaction of Duolin inhaler with alcohol is still not known but it is recommended not to consume alcohol while using Duolin inhaler to avoid complications.
- Pregnancy: Duolin inhaler is not recommended for use in pregnancy unless it is absolutely necessary. It is advisable to inform your doctor and discuss the risks and benefits before consuming it during pregnancy.
- Driving: Use of Duolin inhaler in associated with blurred vision, dizziness, and confusion. Hence, it is advisable not to drive or operate machinery during the therapy.
- Age: Duolin inhaler is not recommended for use in children below the age of 12 and it should be use with safety in elderly patients due to significantly higher risks of adverse effects.
- Lactation: Duolin inhaler is not recommended for use in lactating women and is advisable to discuss the risks and benefits before using it. The doctor may advise you to discontinue either the breastfeeding or the drug depending on the condition.
• Duolin inhaler should be store in a cool and dry place and should be strictly kept away or sight of children.
• Duolin inhaler should be stored at a temperature not exceeding 25°C but it should not be freeze.
• The inhaler should not be exposed to high temperature and moisture.
• It should not be forced open even when it is empty.
General FAQs Regarding The Drug
How should I use Duolin inhaler?
Ans. Duolin inhaler should be used exactly as directed by the doctor. The puff is blown while breathing in and after taking the prescribed dose, you should rinse your mouth properly with water and spit it out.
How should I take this medication?
Ans. Duolin inhaler can be taken any time before or after meals but it is advisable to take it at a fixed time for better results.
What dose should I take?
Ans. The dose of Duolin inhaler depends upon the condition of the patient and is thoroughly prescribed by the doctor. Do not take more or less dose than prescribed by the doctor without prior consultation.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org