Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About brand name of the drug
Duratia 90 mg is a brand manufactured by Gujarat based Indian pharmaceutical company Fortune Healthcare India Limited. They are available in the form of oral pills or tablets. Duratia is used to treat the problem of premature ejaculation in males. Premature ejaculation is the condition when men experiences orgasm and expulsion of semen within a shorter duration of intercourse and with minimal penile stimulation. It is phenomena of uncontrolled ejaculation that may happen before, during, or shortly after penetration, despite minimal stimulation. It prevents men from experiencing a satisfying sexual intercourse.
About the drug
The Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient in Duratia is Dapoxetine. Dapoxetine is a salt having therapeutic properties. Duratia tablet contains 90 mg of Dapoxetine. Duratia is available in various strength 30mg, 60mg and 90mg. The drug is easily available in all the medical stores, drug and chemist stores. It can also be purchased online on various e-pharmacies.
The brand available in the USA market which is equivalent to Duratia (Dapoxetine):
About salt of the drug
Dapoxetine is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor abbreviated as SSRI. It helps in blocking the reuptake of serotonin from 5-HT receptors and thus modifies the reflex which controls the process of ejaculation in males. Dapoxetine is used to treat various conditions like:
- Premature Ejaculation
- Enhancement of sexual performance
Medical Uses of the drug
Duratia is used for the treatment of the following medical conditions:
- Premature Ejaculation
- Enhancement of sexual performance
Working of a drug
Dapoxetine is an antidepressant medicine that has been found to be effective in treatment of premature ejaculation. Duratia is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor that works by raising the levels of serotonin in body. Low levels of serotonin outcome in poor control over ejaculation thus arises the problem of premature ejaculation. Duratia increases serotonin levels and its activity to help improve control over ejaculation and increases the time it takes to ejaculate. It also helps in delaying the ejaculation reflex and extension of intra vaginal ejaculatory latency. Thus, preventing the occurrence of premature ejaculation.
The drug generally does not show any marked or severe side effects. However, it may differ from person to person. The common side effects that can be observed during the medication may be as follows:
- Dizziness and drowsiness
- Blurred vision
- Humming sensation in years
- Gastro intestinal disorder
- Fatigue and drowsiness
- Decreased libido
Immediately consult to a physician in case you have these symptoms.
How to use
Duratia must be taken only after consultation with a registered medical practitioner. The instructions that are given by the doctor must be followed. While taking the drug some instructions should be kept in mind like:
- It shall be taken 1 to 3 hours before anticipated sexual activity
- Take only one tablet in a day. Even if you missed the dose do not take more than one tablet in a day.
- The drug is only for males of age between 18 years to 64 years of age
- It should not be used for males below 18 years of age and females
- It can be taken with or without intake of food
- It is to be taken with water
- It must be swallowed rather than being crushed or chewed to avoid the bitter taste of the drug
- It should be stored in a dry and cool place, away from reach of the children
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Drug interactions are very common when two or more drugs are taken together. Some potent drugs that can cause interaction with are Duratia –
- CYP3A4 Inhibitors like Ketoconazole, Ritonavir and Telithromycin
- Mono amine oxidase Inhibitors
- Tricyclic anti depressants
- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinning agents
- Nitrates and drugs for blood pressure
When to avoid taking the drug
Duratia (Dapoxetine) should be avoided in patients who have mild to moderate kidney impairment, liver disorders, history of low blood pressure, epilepsy, history of bleeding disorder and clotting problems, erectile dysfunction and people who are suffering dehydration due to vomiting, sweating or other reasons.
Things to avoid when using the drug
While taking Duratia, consumption of certain things should be avoided like
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol during medication with Duratia may worsen unwanted side effects like dizziness, flushing, difficulty in concentration and fainting. It may also raising the risk of injury from fainting and from other side effects of the drug.
- Grape fruit: Eating grapefruit or drinking grape fruit juice can interfere with the working of Duratia in your body. It can mildly affect the absorption and clearance of Dapoxetine
General Information and Precautions
- Keep the medicine away from the possible reach of the children
- It should be used by only men above the age of 18 and preferably up to 64 years of age
- It is not used to treat any kind of disorder in women
- It should not be taken with any other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
- It should be taken only when the person is hydrated enough otherwise it may cause dizziness or fainting
- Pregnancy – Duratia is generally not used in women as in studies it has shown to effect foetus adversely
- Lactation – Duratia is not recommended for use in lactating mothers
- Alcohol – Avoid the intake of alcohol as it can lead to enhanced dizziness and flushing
- Penis Deformation – It should not be used in patients suffering from physical deformity of penis
- Driving or using machinery – It is advisable not to perform any task that needs your senses to be alert like driving or handling any machine as it causes dizziness
- Erectile dysfunction – It should not be recommended for patients who are suffering from the problem of erectile dysfunction
- Duratia (Dapoxetine) should be stored at room temperature which is generally ranging between 15 to 25 degree centigrade and less than 30°C
- It should be protected from direct heat and sunlight.
- It should be kept in a dry place to avoid contact with moisture
- Do not freeze the drug unless asked to do so.
- Keep at a height so that the children and pets are unable reach to the drug
General FAQs regarding the drug
Can Duratia be taken daily?
Ans. NO, do not take Duratia more than once in 24 hours. This drug is based on need as it is taken when a person desires of having sexual intercourse
Does the use of Duratia results has any effect on libido or sex drive?
Ans. Duratia generally has no significant effect on libido or sex drive but in certain cases it can show decrease in sex drive as a side effect.
When should a person take duratia?
Ans. Duratia is advised to be taken 1 to 3 hours before sexual intercourse.
Can Duratia be bought as an over the counter drug?
Ans. NO, it is a prescription medicine as it is acts as an antidepressant also. Duratia should be taken without the consultation of a physician as it may not be suitable for all the men diagnosed with the problem of erectile dysfunction.
Can Viagra be taken with Duratia?
Ans. Viagra is a drug used for erectile dysfunction. It can be used in combination with Duratia if the person is suffering from both the disorders of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation but only after consultation with the doctor
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org