Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About brand name of the drug
Malegra 50 mg (sildenafil citrate) is manufactured by Sunrise remedies in India. These are available in the form of tablets. It must be taken at least 1 hr. before any sexual activity. It is a drug having high degree of effectiveness and prolongs the natural process of erection in males. It is the most preferred therapy for men who face impotence or erectile dysfunction
About the drug
Malegra 50 mg contains sildenafil citrate as active pharmaceutical ingredient and it is available at all the leading drug stores, retail outlets and online pharmacies. It is mainly marketed and supplied by the company in India. It is available in dosage of 25 mg - 100 mg. The brand which gives almost similar action as malegra 50 mg and is mostly dominating US markets:
About salt of the drug
Malegra 50 mg consists sildenafil citrate as the active salt which acts by inhibiting PDE-5 (phosphodiesterase type-5) in the body. Due to this inhibition, cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate) degradation stops and cGMP levels remain normal as such this increase in availability helps in relaxing the veins in penis and thus helping in the erection process during sexual intercourse.
Malegra can be also used in reducing the blood pressure in lungs. It acts by inhibiting phosphodiesterase type-5 in turn causing the relaxation of smooth muscles of pulmonary blood vessels.Generally high dose of the drug is given to treat the pulmonary hypertension. It can also be used to treat enlarged prostate, it improves the flow of blood to prostate and the bladder hence helping retention of urine.
Medical Uses of the drug
Malegra 50 mg drug is used for the treatment of the following medical conditions:
• Erectile dysfunction (impotence)
• Hypertrophy of prostate
• To treat high pressure in lungs
Working of a drug
Malegra 50 mg (Sildenafil citrate) contains sildenafil citrate salt which acts as a PDE-5 inhibitor. PDE-5 (phosphodiesterase type-5) is responsible for the breakdown of cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate) produced as a response to sexual stimulation.
Higher the level of cGMP (cyclic guanosine monophosphate) higher is the duration of erection in man. Thus, by inhibiting it helps in maintaining the proper blood flow in the body by relaxing the smooth muscles which present in the walls of blood vessels hence helping in erection in males during intercourse.
Though the use of Malegra is not associated with any severe side- effects but sometimes, it may result in:
• Allergic reactions
• Swelling relating to lips, tongue, face or throat
• Dizziness or passing out
• Severe headache
• Muscle pain, back pain and weakness
• Chest pain
• Stuffy nose
• Blurred vision
• Loss of vision
• Loss of hearing
• Painful erection
• Erection lasting for more than 4 hrs.
If you find any of these indications consult a doctor immediately.
How to use
Malegra 50 mg can be taken only after consulting the doctor. It is to be taken once a day with a glass of water. It can be taken 30 min before but cannot be administered 4 hrs before sexual Intercourse. Following measures should be take care by using Malegra
• Properly wash your hands and dry them before taking the tablet. Swallow as whole
• Dose of the drug is different for everyone so make sure to ask the doctor about the same
• Taken as oral medicine one hour before any sexual activity
• Intake and stoppage of drug should be done only after consulting the doctor
• Store at room temperature reach out from moisture and heat
• Consult the doctor if any dose is missed
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Drug interactions are very common when two or more drugs are taken together. Some potent drugs that can interact with Malegra 50 mg are-
• Drugs used to treat angina e.g. Nitrates (Isosorbide mono & di nitrate, Nitroglycerin)
• Drugs of different brand with same active salt
• Tell your doctor if you are on anti-fungal treatment or antibiotic treatment
• If you are taking another drug of same class (eg. Tadalafil)
• Do not consume it if you are on Riociguat treatment
When to avoid taking the drug
Avoid taking Malegra 50 mg if you are having any allergic reactions with the citrate salt or other Excipients
Things to avoid when using the drug
When taking Malegra 50 mg (Sildenafil citrate) avoid consumption of:
• Avoid the Consumption of alcohol
• Using antibiotics like clarithromycin
• If you are on nitrate treatment
General Information and Precautions
- Avoid exposure to sunlight
• If any type of allergic reaction takes place immediately stop the consumption and consult the doctor.
• Do not drink Alcohol as it can lead to sudden decrease in blood pressure
• Pregnancy- Not recommended for consumption by pregnant women
• Contact your doctor if you have any kidney or liver disease
• Older people have more side effects so use it after proper consultation and care
• Lactation- There is no proof of excretion of this drug in breast milk. Its use should be avoided in lactating women as there is evidence of side effects in lactating mice.
• If there are any past incidences of heart ailments
• If you are using this then use it proper care as there are chances of side effects
• If you are experiencing prolong erection or painful erection or dizziness then consult your doctor
Malegra 50 mg (Sildenafil citrate) should be stored at room temperature. It should be protected
from light and should be store in a clean and dry place
General FAQs regarding the drug
How much sildenafil citrate 50 mg tablets can you take?
Ans. Malegra 50 mg can be taken only after consulting the doctor. The dose and duration of administration varies with the severity of the disease and from person to person. It is to be taken once a day with a glass of water. It can be taken 30 min before but cannot be administered 4 hours before sexual intercourse
How long does sildenafil last?
Ans. The duration varies from person to person- although, it has been known to last up to 6 hours with sexual stimulation. Normally, the effects of the drug tend to wear off after 2-3 hours after first intake
Who should take sildenafil?
Ans. People suffering from:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Prostate enlargement
- Pulmonary hypertension
How much effective is sildenafil?
Ans. It is the most effective drug in erectile dysfunction. It shows great amount of effectiveness in improving the erections during sexual intercourse
When should you take sildenafil?
Ans. Malegra 50 mg can be taken only after consulting the doctor.
GoodRxmedicine is entirely unrelated to GoodRx in any way or form. We hereby deny any sponsorship, endorsement, or affiliation between GoodRx.com USA and Goodrxmedicine.com India. GoodRxmedicine is an Indian online Pharmacy only dealing in selling generic medicines in compliance with the law to its full extent of the Republic of India.The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at [email protected]