Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
What is Dutas
Dutas is prescribed to treat the symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) in men.
It functions by shrinking the size of an enlarged prostate in males.
It helps alleviate BPH symptoms such as trouble initiating urine flow, a weak stream, and needing to urinate frequently or urgently.
Additionally, it may decrease the need for surgery to treat BPH.
This is an FDA-approved medicine prescribed only to people with known medical conditions.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories is a leading pharmaceutical company that manufactures Dutas 0.5 mg.
Uses of Dutas
It is prescribed for treating Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) in men.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
As men age, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), often known as Prostate Gland Enlargement, is a common condition.
As the prostate gland enlarges, some muscles in the gland obstruct the tube that drains urine from the bladder.
This leads to uncomfortable urinary symptoms, such as the obstruction of urine flow from the bladder, increased frequency of urinating at night, etc.
It can also cause bladder, urinary tract, and kidney difficulties.
How Dutas works
Dutasteride is an active ingredient of Dutas 0.5 mg, which is a 5-Alpha-Reductase (5-AR) inhibitor.
It blocks the activity of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone.
An excess of Dihydrotestosterone is responsible for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
Inhibition of 5-AR leads to increased testosterone levels and decreased dihydrotestosterone levels.
It causes a reduction in prostate size, resulting in improved urinary flow.
How to take Dutas
Always adhere to your physician's instructions. These quick tips might help you:
- As your doctor suggests, take this medication orally with or without food, generally once daily
- Completely swallow the medication. Avoid crushing or chewing the capsules
- Utilize this medication routinely to obtain the maximum benefit
- Take your medication at the same time each day to help you remember
- It may take three to six months to observe a reduction in symptoms. Inform your physician if your symptoms do not improve or worsen
Dutas side effects
If you take this medicine as your doctor prescribes, you may not experience side effects.
However, its prohibition may lead to complications such as:
- Low sexual desire
- Allergic reactions
- Decreased amount of sperm
- Increased breast size
- Testicle pain
- Trouble breathing
These adverse effects are temporary. If they cause you concern, consult your doctor.
Dutasteride, the active ingredient of Dutas, may interact with other medications, diseases, and foods.
Dutas could interact with other medications you may be taking. It may have adverse effects or prevent the medication from working correctly.
To avoid this situation, you must inform your doctor about your complete medical history.
It is suggested that you report all of your disorders to your doctor to prevent drug-disease interactions:
- Liver disease
One must take some caution when taking Dutas 0.5 mg.
- This medicine is only for use in men
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to Dutasteride
- This medicine may contain inactive substances that can cause allergic reactions or other complications
- Before using this medication, discuss the history of liver disease or active liver disease with your doctor
- It is necessary to monitor liver function closely while taking this medication
- Women and children shouldn't take Dutasteride. This medicine may be absorbed through the skin, so wash the area exposed to this medicine with soap and water
- Don't donate blood while taking this medicine and for at least six months after stopping treatment
- This medicine is contraindicated in females, particularly during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Dutasteride is not approved for the prevention of Prostate cancer. Instead, it can aggravate Prostate cancer
- This medicine must be kept in a dry, dark location away from direct sunlight
- Keep out of children's reach
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can you be on Dutasteride?
Long-term Dutasteride treatment (up to 4 years) improves urinary symptoms and flow rate. It reduces the prostate volume in men with symptomatic BPH.
Does Dutasteride affect the brain?
Recently, it was shown that Dutasteride, a 5-AR inhibitor used to treat Endocrine disorders, modulates brain dopamine (DA) neurotransmission and motor behavior.
Can I drink alcohol with Dutasteride?
You may have flushing, warmth, redness of the skin, or a tingling sensation after consuming alcohol, and it is advisable to avoid or limit your alcohol use.
Who should not take Dutasteride?
Women and children are not allowed to use this medication. Pregnant women should not consume this tablet without doctor’s recommendation. Dutasteride is absorbed via the skin and is known to cause birth abnormalities in fetuses.
When is the best time to take Dutasteride?
Take the capsule at least 30 minutes after the same meal. Completely swallow the capsule. Avoid chewing or breaking it.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org