Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
What is Actavis Bimatoprost
Actavis Bimatoprost is a medication that reduces eye pressure and drains excess fluid from the eyes.
It contains Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution as its active ingredient.
In addition to its medical benefits, it is used as an eyelash serum to promote the growth of eyelashes.
It decreases eye pressure and the likelihood of total blindness.
This prescription-based medicine is FDA-approved and is not available over the counter.
Actavis is the leading pharmaceutical company that manufactures Actavis Bimatoprost .03%.
Uses of Actavis Bimatoprost
Actavis Bimatoprost is used to treat eye conditions. It has medical use as well as cosmetic use.
Glaucoma is an eye condition characterized by damage to the optic nerve.
As it advances, it leads to irreversible blindness and the gradual loss of Retinal ganglion cells.
Bimatoprost is prescribed to reduce the high pressure in the eye caused by Ocular Hypertension.
When too much fluid builds up in the eye, it can cause high pressure. This medicine helps to drain the excess fluid.
If left untreated, high pressure can damage your optic nerve and increases the likelihood of permanent vision loss.
This medicine is also prescribed to people with eyelash Hypotrichosis.
Eyelashes Hypotrichosis is a condition that is characterized by an inadequate amount of eyelashes.
When used as an eyelash serum, it encourages the growth of the eyelashes and makes them longer, thicker, and darker.
How does Actavis Bimatoprost work
Actavis Bimatoprost contain Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution, which belongs to a class of Prostaglandin analogs.
The accumulation of excessive fluid (aqueous humor) in the eyes causes intraocular pressure.
This aqueous fluid fills the space between the lens and cornea in the anterior chamber of the eyeball.
Bimatoprost functions by opening clogged drainage pathways in the eye area.
Consequently, it increases the outflow of excess fluid and reduces intraocular pressure.
This process allows the optic nerve to relax and relieves its strain.
Bimatoprost also improves the proportion and length of hair during the growth phase, resulting in the development of eyelashes.
The other alternative medications that contain Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution as its active ingredient are:
- Lashgrow 3ml
- Bimat 0.03% w/v
- Careprost 3ml of 0.03%
- Bimat LS eye drop
- Bimat-T eye drop
- Bimat LS TM eye drop
How to use Actavis Bimatoprost
Since it has medical and cosmetic uses, the application of both is distinct.
Medical use (eye drops)
- Apply this solution to the affected eye(s) once daily in the evening or as directed by your physician
- Before applying eye drops, wash your hands. Avoid touching the dropper tip
- The preservative in Bimatoprost may stain contact lenses. If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using eye drops
- Wait at least 15 minutes after each dose before putting your contact lenses back
- Tilt the head back, look upward, and pull the lower eyelid down to form a pouch. Place one drop in the pouch while holding the dropper directly over your eye
- Close your eyes gently and look downward for one to two minutes
- Avoid blinking and rubbing your eyes
Cosmetic use (eyelash serum)
- Before applying this medication, thoroughly clean your hands and face
- Remove all makeup and lenses from your eyes
- After 15 minutes of application, contact lenses can be put again
- Apply one drop of this medication to the applicator provided (brush)
- Then, immediately draw the applicator across the skin of the upper eyelid margin, following the lash line from inner to outer
- If medication enters the eye, you should not rinse it. It does not cause any harm if it gets into the eye
Side effects of Actavis Bimatoprost
Actavis Bimatoprost is a safe eye drop if used as prescribed by a physician.
However, some individuals may experience the following side effects:
- Blurred vision
- Pain in the eyes
- Itchy eyes
- Darker skin around the eyes
- Increased eyelash growth
- Swelling of eyes
- Brown discoloration of iris
Many users who take this medication do not encounter serious side effects. However, if you have any adverse effects, visit your doctor immediately.
Interactions can occur when a medicine's constituents interact with another medicine, disease, or food.
Actavis Bimatoprost is known to interact with several medications occasionally, including:
- Travoprost ophthalmic
- Unoprostone ophthalmic
- Tafluprost ophthalmic
- Bimatoprost topical
- Latanoprost ophthalmic
- Latanoprostene Bunod ophthalmic
It may interact with conditions such as:
- Macular edema
- Renal/ Liver disease
- Fuchs' Dystrophy (cornea problem)
- Certain types of Glaucoma (angle-closure or neovascular)
Actavis Bimatoprost is a prescription medication. One must take it cautiously.
- Alcohol consumption with eye drops can negatively impact the liver
- Avoid using this solution if you have known allergies to Bimatoprost
- Consult your doctor if you are experiencing irritation in your eye
- This medicine contains inactive ingredients (such as Benzalkonium Chloride) that can cause allergies or other complications. Consult your doctor for the best advice
- Use this medicine only when necessary during pregnancy. Discuss with your doctor
- Do not forget to tell the testing personnel that you are using this medication when getting your eye pressure tested
- This solution must be kept in a dry, dark location away from direct sunlight
- Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution should not be frozen. Ensure that the bottle's opening and lid are clean and free of any impurities
- The bottle must be consumed or disposed of within four weeks
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Bimatoprost be bought over the counter?
Bimatoprost is a prescription-based medicine and is not available over the counter.
What type of drug is Bimatoprost?
Bimatoprost belongs to the class of medicines known as Prostaglandin analogs. It decreases intraocular pressure by increasing the outflow of excess eye fluids.
What are the side effects of Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution?
Some of the side effects of Bimatoprost include darker skin around the eyes, increased eyelash growth, redness, swelling of eyes, and brown discoloration of the iris.
What happens when you stop taking Actavis Bimatoprost?
Bimatoprost must be used every day for it to function properly. If you discontinue use, your intraocular pressure may increase. Use the medication for as long as the doctor instructs. Do not miss or exceed your prescribed dosage.
How long can a bottle of Actavis Bimatoprost last after opening it?
After the first opening of the bottle, Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Solution may be stored for four weeks. After four weeks of being opened, it must be discarded.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at email@example.com