Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
What is Suminat Nasal spray 20gm
Suminat spray is prescribed to relieve Migraine.
This spray reduces Headache, discomfort, and other Migraine symptoms (including Nausea, Vomiting, and light/sound sensitivity).
It functions by narrowing blood vessels around the brain and stopping the transmission of pain signals.
Prompt treatment allows you to resume your normal activities and may reduce your need for additional painkillers.
This nasal spray does not prevent future Migraine attacks.
Sun Pharma Laboratories is a renowned pharmaceutical company that manufactures Suminat spray.
Uses of Suminat Nasal spray 20gm
Suminat Spray is prescribed for relieving the symptoms caused by migraines.
A Migraine is a severe headache that causes extreme throbbing or pulsing pain.
It is frequently accompanied by Nausea, Vomiting, and light sensitivity.
It can prevail for hours or days long, and the pain is so severe that it intervenes with daily activities.
How Suminat Nasal spray 20gm works
Sumatriptan is an active ingredient of Suminat Nasal Spray, which belongs to the class of medicines known as Triptans.
Triptans, also known as Serotonin Receptor agonists, mimic the action of the natural chemical Serotonin.
This causes the blood vessels in the brain to constrict, thereby stopping the Headache.
Triptans may also help reduce pain by calming the overactive pain nerves in the brain.
How to take Suminat Nasal spray 20gm
Always adhere to your physician's instructions.
- This spray is exclusively intended for use in the nose
- Use this spray as your doctor prescribes at the first symptom of a migraine, typically one spray into one nostril
- Before using this medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils
- Keeping your head upright, close one nostril by pushing one side of your nose with your index finger
- Breathe in gently through your nose. At the same time, press the plunger firmly with your thumb
- Keep your head upright, remove the nozzle from your nose, and gently breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth for 10 to 20 seconds
- After using the spray, your nose may feel moist, and you may notice some taste
- Avoid spraying it into your eyes
Stick to your doctor's prescription. However, some patients may experience the following side effects:
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Unusual tiredness and weakness
- Chest pain
- A feeling of warmth or heat
- Increased blood pressure
These effects are temporary. However, Visit your doctor immediately if any side effects cause you concern.
Discuss all the interactions with your doctor, as they can alter the functioning of the medicine.
Inform your doctor about all the medicines you are taking.
- St. John's Wort
Learn about all the drug-disease interactions with the help of your doctor.
- Liver disease
- Seizure disorders
- Cardiovascular disease
- CAD risk factors
- Basilar Migraines
- Ischemic Bowel disease
- Peripheral Vascular disease
- Raynaud's disease
- Blood clots in the legs
- Circulation problems
- High Blood Pressure
Adhere to specific contraindications before using this medication:
- If you are allergic to Sumatriptan Spray, you should inform your doctor
- Do not use Sumatriptan Nasal Spray if you have taken any of the following drugs within the previous 24 hours: Almotriptan, Eletriptan, Frovatriptan, Naratriptan, Rizatriptan, or Ergot-type medications such as Bromocriptine, Cabergoline, Dihydroergotamine
- Do not use Sumatriptan Spray if you are taking or have recently taken MAO-A inhibitors
- Mention to your doctor If you are taking Acetaminophen, Antidepressants, Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory medications, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, or Selective Serotonin/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors
- Before using this spray, inform your doctor if you smoke
- This medication may cause Anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that requires immediate medical attention
- If you have or ever had cholesterol, diabetes, seizures, or kidney disease, tell your doctor in advance
- Breastfeeding mothers should inform their doctors before using Sumatriptan Spray. Your physician may advise you to wait 12 hours after taking the medication
- You should be aware that this may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not operate a motor vehicle or heavy machinery until you have determined how this medication affects you
- If you are overweight or have gone through menopause, inform your physician
- This medicine must be kept in a dry, dark location away from direct sunlight
- Keep out of children's reach
- Do not keep the medication in the refrigerator
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Sumatriptan Spray do to you?
Sumatriptan acts on the Serotonin (or 5-HT) receptors in the brain's blood vessels. This results in their narrowing. This alleviates the migraine headache and other associated symptoms, such as Nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.
Is Sumatriptan a painkiller?
Sumatriptan is not an ordinary painkiller. It does not alleviate any pain other than migraine headaches. This medication is typically used in patients whose headaches have not been relieved by Acetaminophen, Aspirin, or other painkillers.
Can Sumatriptan cause a stroke?
Sumatriptan may raise your likelihood of developing an irregular heart rhythm, a Heart Attack, Angina, or a Stroke.
What medicines interact with Sumatriptan?
Some medicines that could interact with Sumatriptan are Eletriptan, Desipramine, Buspirone, Venlafaxine, Tramadol, St. John's Wort, Rizatriptan, etc.
What drug class does Sumatriptan belong to?
Sumatriptan is a member of the Triptan pharmacological class. It affects a natural substance (Serotonin) that constricts the brain's blood vessels and relieves pain.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at email@example.com