Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About brand name of the drug
Modula 5 mg is a brand manufactured by one of the topmost Indian based company Sun Pharma Laboratories which is a generic form of Tadalafil which is available in the form of tablets. This low-medium potency medication is recommended for the therapy of erectile dysfunction, pulmonary arterial hypertension and benign prostate hyperplasia in males. It is one of the best ways to treat erectile dysfunction in males along with minimum side effects.
About the drug
Modula 5 mg contains Tadalafil as the active constituent. The tablets contain 5 mg of the active drug which is equivalent to Tadalafil. Modula 5 mg contains a low amount of drug which is sufficient enough to sustain the erections for an extended period of time without penile failure at the peak time.
About salt of the drug
Modula 5 mg belongs to the class of PDE5 inhibitors. This drug results in relaxation of the walls of the smooth vessels in the penile region. As a result, blood vessels are dilated and there is an easy passage for an increased volume of blood. This increased blood flow for an extended period of time provides sustained erections which allow the males to have a pleasant sexual experience.
Medical Uses of the drug
- Erectile dysfunction – Condition in which there is difficulty to sustain a penile erection during the sexual activity
- Benign prostate hyperplasia – Condition where there is enlargement of the prostate gland which results in difficulty in urination
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) – Increase in blood pressure of the vessels of the lungs due to obstruction in the arteries
- Enhanced male libido – Increased sex drive or sexual desire
- Magnified sexual performance – Powerful erections sustain for a long period of time thus, improving sexual performance
Working of a drug
The active constituent of Modula 5 mg, Tadalafil works by inhibiting the enzyme phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) which is responsible for the breakdown of cGMP. A higher amount of cGMP results in relaxation of smooth muscles in the walls of the blood vessels. This causes an increased blood flow into the penile region and a sustained erection is possible for an extended period of time for those who suffer from erectile dysfunction. It does not result in penile failure at peak time and helps patients attain their level of sexual pleasure. This drug is also used in treating the enlarged prostate gland which causes difficulty in the passage of urine.
There may be very minimum chances of any side effects of the medication due to its low dose but it has the potential to cause side effects like:
- Nasal congestion
These side effects only last until the use of the medication. Below are some of the rare side effects which might occur. In case if any of these side effects are seen, kindly consult with a nearby doctor immediately.
- Blurred vision
- Muscle Pain
- Prolonged painful erections/Priapism
- Allergic skin reaction
- Difficulty in breathing
- Increased Blood Pressure
- Stroke or Heart attack
How to use
Modula 5 mg should only be consumed after consulting with a registered medical practitioner and through a prescription by him/her. The medication is easily available at local medical and drug stores. Before consuming Modula 5 mg, carefully read the following instructions.
- Consume only a single dose of 5 mg once a day
- Modula 5 mg should be taken 30-60 minutes before sexual activity for best results
- Modula 5 mg should not be broken or chewed. It should be swallowed as a whole along with a cup of water
- Modula 5 mg can be consumed with food or without food.
- Consumption of two doses at once is strictly not recommended
- In case of overdose consult a nearby doctor immediately
- Medication is not recommended for women
Drugs that are known to relate with this medicine
The following drugs are likely to interact and intensify the effects of Modula 5 mg. Combinations of these drugs along with Modula 5 mg may cause serious adverse effects:
- Cardiovascular drugs like Glyceryl trinitrate, Nitroglycerin and Isosorbide mononitrate – May cause life-threatening side effects
- Antibiotics like Clarithromycin and Erythromycin
- Anti-fungals like Ketoconazole and Itraconazole
- Anti-epileptic drugs like Phenytoin, Phenobarbitone and Carbamazepine
- A combination with other erectile dysfunction treating drugs
Note: Interactions from the above drugs not only cause adverse effects but also intensify painful or abnormal erections which may last longer than normal medication.
Disclaimer: Some of the drug interactions may cause common side effects as seen above while some may cause severe life-threatening conditions. It is always advised to discuss with a doctor before consuming Modula 5 mg along with another medication. Any other medication should be consumed 4 hours before and after the consumption of Modula 5 mg so as to minimize the side effects caused by them.
When to avoid taking the drug
Avoid consuming Modula 5 mg if you are suffering from:
- Cardiovascular conditions – It results in fatal hypotension i.e. decreased blood pressure
- Angina – Modula 5 mg would interact with drugs used for the treatment of angina and cause harmful side effects
- Hypertension – It would cause a similar condition of extreme hypotension
- Disease of the retina – It may result in damage to the retina where the colour distinction ability of a person may get impaired
Things to avoid when using the drug
- Alcohol – It potentiates the side effects like drowsiness, dizziness and other such side effects of the drug
- Driving or using Machinery – It is not advised to consume this medication while driving or working on a machine as it may cause drowsiness and affect your sense of coordination and judgement ability
General Information and Precautions
- Alcohol - Avoid consuming Alcohol with the medication as would potentiate the side effects of the drug such as drowsiness and dizziness
- Working or Driving - It is not advised to consume this drug if one is driving or working on some machines as it affects the judgement ability and coordination of the person by causing drowsiness
- Penis deformation - It should not be consumed in such patients as it would cause painful erections, a condition called priapism
- Allergy - Modula 5 mg should be avoided if you have suffered an allergic reaction due to the consumption of the medication
- Organs - Modula 5 mg is not advised for patients having liver & kidney damage, an obstructive disease in the lungs. It may also cause damage to the retina and impairs the colour differentiation capacity of a person
- Age - This medication is not recommended for consumption by women and children below the age of 18 years
- Duration - The use of this medication should be restricted to thrice a week as overconsumption may lead to serious adverse effects
- Pregnancy - Modula 5 mg should be strictly avoided by pregnant women as this medication would have harmful effects on the fetus
- Lactation – Not recommended as there are chances that the drug may pass through breast milk and cause harm to the child
- Other condition - Modula 5 mg should not be consumed by patients suffering from epilepsy, glaucoma and leukaemia
- Old age - It is not advised for people above the age 60 to consume such higher doses of the medication as it may cause serious side effects
Modula 5 mg should not be stored above a temperature of 30oC. Exposure to sunlight and moisture should be at least as possible.
General FAQs regarding the drug
How many hours before sexual activity should Modula 5 mg be taken?
Ans. Usually, Modula 5 mg should be consumed 30-60 before sexual activity. It gives sustained and effective erections which last for the course of the sexual activity
Should it be taken with food or without?
Ans. Generally, there are no restrictions. Modula 5 mg can be consumed before a meal and even after a meal. However, best results are seen when consumed without food.
Can the use of Modula 5 mg affect fertility?
Ans. No, consumption of Modula 5 mg does not affect fertility. It just shows its effect by relaxing the penile smooth muscles and maintaining the erect penis for a long period of time.
GoodRxmedicine is entirely unrelated to GoodRx in any way or form. We hereby deny any sponsorship, endorsement, or affiliation between GoodRx.com USA and Goodrxmedicine.com India. GoodRxmedicine is an Indian online Pharmacy only dealing in selling generic medicines in compliance with the law to its full extent of the Republic of India.The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at [email protected]