Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About the brand name of the drug
Lipvas 40 is a pharmaceutical formulation available in the form of tablets. It is manufactured by Cipla Ltd. Lipvas 40 is a lipid-lowering medication and is used to treat high cholesterol. This medicine helps by lowering "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides (main components of body fat in humans and other animals) as well as raising "good" cholesterol (HDL) at the same time. The benefit of lowering cholesterol levels is that it reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. The drug may be used alone or in combination with other medicines.
About the drug
Lipvas 10 mg Tablet belongs to the “statin” group of drugs. It is a prescribed drug that contains atorvastatin as its active pharmaceutical ingredient which reduces the levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. Lipvas is dose strengths of this drug are available i.e. 10 mg and 20 mg and are recommended as per the condition of the patient. Changes in lifestyle such as low-fat diet, regular exercise and smoking cessation may help this medicine to work better. Substitutes for Lipvas 40 mg are Atorlip 40 MG, Atormac 40 mg, etc.
About salt of the drug
Atorvastatin is a statin medication used to prevent cardiovascular disease in individuals who are at high risk and treat abnormal lipid levels and this drug is sold under the brand name Lipvas 40. Statins are a first-line treatment for the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Atorvastatin acts as an inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme found in the liver which plays an important role in producing cholesterol.
Medical Uses of the drug
- Primary Hypercholesterolemia (increased levels of cholesterol in the blood)
Lipvas 40 mg Tablet is used to decrease the abnormally high levels of lipids in the blood.
- Mixed Dyslipidemia (abnormal amount of lipids)
Lipvas 40 MG Tablet is used to diminish high levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood and increases the levels of high-density cholesterol.
It is used in the lowering of triglycerides in the blood.
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases
It is used in the prevention of stroke and heart attack in patients at risk due to conditions like diabetes, hypertension, coronary heart disease, etc. It can also be used for individuals exposed to multiple risk factors like smoking, age, family history of occurrence, etc.
Working of the drug
- It works by blocking an enzyme (HMG-CoA-reductase) which is required to make cholesterol in the body.
- This Tablet increases the number of hepatic LDL receptors on the surface of the cell, leading to enhancement in the uptake and breakdown of LDL.
- It also inhibits the synthesis of VLDL in the lever, so reducing the total number of VLDL and LDL particles.
- Lipvas 40 MG Tablet is excreted largely through feces and the duration of the effect of Lipvas is 57 to 76 hours.
Side effects of Lipvas 40 mg
Lipvas 40 mg is associated with several side effects:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Acid or sour stomach
- Excessive air or gas in the stomach
- Blood in urine
- Redness of the skin, on face and neck
- Difficulty in falling asleep (insomnia) may also be observed
Consult your physician as soon as you recognize any of these side effects.
How to use this drug
- Lipvas 40 mg should be used exactly as directed by the doctor.
- Lipvas 40 is available in the form of a tablet. Intake of a regular dose of Lipvas 40 mg Tablet is important for the best results.
- Although many statin medications should be administered at bedtime for optimal effect, atorvastatin can be dosed at any time of day, but the medicine should be taken once daily at the same time.
- If anyone missed a dose, don’t try to compensate it by taking an extra dose with the next one. This can be extremely harmful to your body.
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Lipvas 40 mg is known to show drug interactions with many drugs that can alter the effect of the drug when taken simultaneously and also can cause unwanted side effects. Some of these drugs that show severe side effects with Lipvas 50 mg are listed as follows:
You may experience muscle pain, soreness and dark colored urine if these medicines are taken together. Consult the doctor if you are using these medicines together.
When not to use it?
- Active liver disease: cholestasis (bile cannot flow from the liver to the duodenum), hepatic encephalopathy (abnormalities in the nervous system in patients with liver dysfunction), hepatitis, and jaundice
- Lipvas 40 mg Tablet is not suggested to use in patients with high levels of Transaminase in the body indicating active liver disease.
Lipvas 40 MG Tablet should not be suggested to patients who have allergy to this medicine.
Things to avoid when using the drug
Certain things to be avoided while using Lipvas 40 mg tablet are:
- Avoid excess dosage of Lipvas 40 mg.
- Do not drive when you have administered Lipvas 40 mg.
- The double dose of this medicine must be avoided. In case of overdose, seek emergency medical treatment or contact the doctor.
- The drug should not be recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
General Information and Precautions
- It should be taken as per the guidance are given by the doctor.
- It can be taken with or without food as advised by the doctor.
- The quantity consumed should be exactly the same as prescribed by the doctor. Any occurrence of side effects should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- In patients with a history of low blood pressure, seizures, liver problems, alcohol abuse, any allergy, serious infection, during pregnancy and breastfeeding, caution is required.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication because it may cause dizziness.
- Avoid alcohol consumption as Lipvas 40 MG Tablet may cause liver and kidney related problems.
- The diet and exercise program should be followed as directed by your physician.
- While taking this medication, monitor blood cholesterol level and liver functions regularly.
- Store Lipvas 40 mg at a temperature between 20 – 25 degree Celcius.
- Keep the drug at a cool and dry place away from the reach of children.
- The drug should be kept in airtight containers, away from moisture and direct sunlight.
General FAQs regarding the drug
What is the Onset of action of Lipvas 40 mg?
Ans. The effect of Lipvas 50 mg can be observed within 3 to 5 days of administration.
Can you stop using statins once you started?
Ans. Statins are usually very successful at lowering cholesterol levels, but they only work as long as you're using these drugs. Therefore, most people who begin taking a statin medicine will probably take it for the rest of their lives.
Is Lipvas 40 mg Safe with alcohol?
Ans. Interaction with alcohol is not known yet. It is worthwhile to consult your doctor before consumption.
Is it habit forming?
Ans. No habit-forming tendencies of Lipvas were reported.
Can this drug be used in pregnancy?
Ans. Lipvas 40 mg is not recommended for use in women who are or may become pregnant.
Usage while breastfeeding?
Ans. Lipvas 40 mg is not recommended for use in women who are breastfeeding due to a risk of severe adverse effects on the infant.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at email@example.com