and enjoy FREE SHIPPING
Lipvas 20 mg
|Label of unit||1 Tablet/s|
About the brand name of the drug
Lipvas 20 mg (Atorvastatin) is an antihyperlipidemic drug formulation in the form of a tablet. It is manufactured by India based Cipla Ltd. whose headquarter is located in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The active pharmaceutical ingredient which is responsible for the antihyperlipidemic action is Atorvastatin. Atorvastatin belongs to the class of Statins which are used to treat conditions relating to increased cholesterol levels in the body and other heart conditions.
About the drug
Lipvas 20 mg (Atorvastatin) is a schedule H drug which contains Atorvastatin as its active pharmaceutical ingredient. Atorvastatin is an antihyperlipidemic drug belonging to the class of Statins. Atorvastatin and other statins are helpful in reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride levels in the body. It is used with a definite exercise and diet plan to help in lowering the levels of fats and bad cholesterol. It comes in the dosage strength of 10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg. Lipvas 20 mg contains Atorvastatin calcium 20 mg equivalent to Atorvastatin 20 mg.
Some other brands equivalent to Lipvas 20 mg are:
- Aztor 20 mg tablet
- Mactor 20 mg tablet
- Atchol 20 mg tablet
About salt of the drug
Lipvas 20 mg contains an antihyperlipidemic Atorvastatin in the salt of Atorvastatin Calcium. Atorvastatin calcium inhibits the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase which is responsible for the production of cholesterol and thus helps in reducing the high LDL, triglycerides and bad cholesterol levels in the body. It is also found to be used in long term cardiovascular complications like heart attack, stroke, chest pain, etc. It can be taken single or in combination with other drugs depending upon the indication and its severity.
Medical Uses of the drug
Lipvas 20 mg is used in the treatment of various diseases and disorders which are caused due to high cholesterol and lipid levels in the body. Being an HMG Co-A reductase inhibitor, it is capable of reducing the levels of Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and Triglycerides. In addition, it also increases the amount of High-density lipoprotein (HDL) in the body as well. Thus, it is helpful in the treatment of primary hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia, mixed dyslipidemia, and for the prevention of various cardiovascular diseases like heart attack and stroke.
Working of the drug
Lipvas 20 mg contains Atorvastatin as its active pharmaceutical ingredient which is a competitive HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor. HMG-CoA reductase is an important enzyme which catalyses the biosynthesis of cholesterol in the liver and raises cholesterol levels in the body. Atorvastatin blocks HMG-CoA reductase and stunts this process of cholesterol formation. Atorvastatin also increases the uptake of LDL and triglycerides by the hepatocytes and slightly increases HDL levels in the body. Thus, it helps in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol and increasing the levels of good cholesterol in the body and treating the conditions resulting from high cholesterol levels.
The use of Lipvas 20 mg may be associated with some side effects which are listed below.
Some severe side effects of Lipvas 20 mg are:
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
Some other known side effects of Lipvas 20 are as follows:
- Impaired liver function
- Runny nose
- Difficulty to breathe
Promptly consult your health professional i.e. pharmacist or doctor, if you experience any of the side effects lasting longer than usual.
How to use
Lipvas 20 mg should be used only when prescribed by the doctor and never otherwise. One must know the following instructions of how to use Lipvas 20 mg:
- Lipvas 20 mg should be used exactly as it is directed by your doctor.
- Lipvas 20 mg can be taken with or without food or as advised by the doctor.
- The dose of Lipvas 20 mg should not be missed and missed dose should be taken as soon as possible.
- Lipvas 20 mg should not be stopped suddenly without prior consulting with the doctor.
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Lipvas 20 mg is known to interact with many drugs and formulations which when taken along with Lipvas 20 mg can alter the effect of either or both the medications. Some of the drugs with which Lipvas 20 mg shows drug interactions are as follows:
- Antibiotics like Clarithromycin, Erythromycin, Azithromycin.
- Antivirals like atazanavir
- Immunosuppressants like cyclosporine
Discuss with your doctor about all the current medications you take, to avoid consequences due to drug interaction.
When to avoid taking the drug
Lipvas 20 mg should be used only when it is prescribed by the doctor and should be avoided in certain conditions which are as follows:
- The use of Lipvas 20 mg should be avoided in patients allergic to atorvastatin or any other excipients in the tablet.
- Avoid using Lipvas 20 mg if you are suffering from disorders relating to kidney or liver.
Things to avoid when using the drug
Certain things to be avoided while using Lipvas 20 mg are as follows:
- Lipvas 20 mg should not be broken, crushed or chewed while administration.
- A double dose of Lipvas 20 mg should be avoided.
- Avoid consuming alcohol while using Lipvas 20 mg.
- Do not stop the treatment of Lipvas 20 mg without consulting your doctor as it can lead to consequences.
General Information and Precautions
Lipvas 20 mg is a schedule H drug and should be taken as instructed by the doctor.
- You should not take the missed dose of Lipvas 20 mg when it's almost time for the next one.
- Under no circumstance, you should take a double dose of Lipvas 20 mg as it can result in severe adverse effects.
- In case you took an overdose of Lipvas 20 mg, immediately run to the nearest hospital or doctor.
- Alcohol: Don't Drink Alcohol while using Lipvas 20 mg as it can increase the risk of side effects.
- Pregnancy: Lipvas 20 mg should not be used in pregnant women unless absolutely necessary. All the risks and benefits should be discussed with the doctor before taking Lipvas 20 mg.
- Driving: It is considered safe to drive after taking Lipvas 20 mg since it does not cause sleepiness or dizziness.
- Age: Safety and efficacy of Lipvas 20 mg have been established in children and elderly patients.
- Lactation: It is not recommended to use Lipvas 20 mg in lactating women as it can cause harm to the infant.
Lipvas 20 mg should be stored in conditions stated in the label and the following conditions should be kept in mind.
- Lipvas 20 mg should be stored in a tightly packed container in which it came in, away from light and moisture.
- It should be kept in temperature not exceeding the room temperature.
- Lipvas 20 mg should not be kept in the bathroom and kitchen.
- Lipvas 20 mg should be kept away from the reach and sight of children and pets.
General FAQs regarding the drug
How should I use this medication?
Ans. Lipvas 20 mg tablets can be taken before or after meals and with a full glass of water. It should be kept in mind that Lipvas 20 mg tablets must not be broken, crushed or chewed while administration.
What if I miss a dose of Lipvas 20 mg?
Ans. Try to avoid missing the dose of Lipvas 20 mg and take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Do not take the missed dose of Lipvas 20 mg when it is almost time for another dose.
Can I take a double dose for better effect?
Ans. Taking a double dose of Lipvas 20 mg does not help to get a better response and can lead to severe consequences. Never take double a dose of Lipvas 20 mg and consult your nearest doctor if an overdose is suspected.
Can this drug be used in pregnancy?
Ans. Lipvas 20 mg is not recommended for use in pregnancy. It should be used in pregnant women or women who are planning to raise a family.
|Label of unit||1 Tablet/s|