Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About the brand name of the drug
Erytop 1% gel 20 mg (Clindamycin phosphate gel) is an antibiotic agent, manufactured by Vardhaman Remedies, an Indian Pharmaceutical company. It is packaged in tubes. It is used in the treatment of acne vulgaris. It is also used for the treatment of various bacterial infections like strep throat, pelvic inflammatory disease and middle ear infections
About the drug
The active pharmaceutical ingredient in Erytop 1% gel 20 mg is Clindamycin phosphate. It is available dosage strengths like 20 mg, 25 mg, 30 mg and 40 mg. It is easily available at all leading pharmacies, online pharmacies, drug stores. The prescription is to be shown before purchasing the drugs. It is used to treat bacterial infections
Some other brands equivalent to Erytop 1% gel 20 mg (Clindamycin phosphate) in the USA are:
• Cleocin T
About salt of the drug
Clindamycin is responsible for antibiotic activity. It is a bacteriostatic agent (it doesn't kill the bacteria but inhibits the growth of bacteria). It is a lincosamide antibiotic. It acts as a bacterial protein synthesis inhibitor. Hence, the growth of bacteria is stopped by its usage.
Medical Uses of the drug
Erytop 1% gel 20 mg drug is used for the treatment of:
• Middle ear infections
• Bone and joint infections
• Pelvic Inflammatory disease
• Strep throat
• Gynaecological infections
• Respiratory infections
Working of a drug
Erytop 1% gel 20 mg contains Clindamycin Phosphate as an active pharmaceutical agent. It is a bacteriostatic agent which shows it's activity by inhibiting the protein synthesis of bacteria.since, it is bacteriostatic in nature it only inhibits the growth of bacteria instead of killing or arresting the growth of bacteria completely. Due to this action, it is used in the treatment of Acne and other bacterial infections.
The use of Erytop 1% gel 20 mg is generally safe and is having very few side effects, but it may result in some other side effects based on patient acceptance:
• Dry Skin
• Oily skin
• Redness of Skin
• Burning and Itching of skin
• Peeling of skin
• Breathing Problem
• Increased Thirst
• Chest Pain
• Fast Heartbeat
• Black stool
• Muscle pain
• Blurred Vision
If the above side effects persist continuously then the patient must seek medical attention immediately.
How to use
Erytop 1% gel 20 mg is a prescription-only drug which is to be administered exactly in the same manner as prescribed by the physician. All the instructions directed by the doctor should be followed. The following instructions should be keep in mind:
• It is for external use only
• It is to be taken only after the skin is cleaned and dried and then apply the gel
• The dosage regimen should be strictly followed regularly.
• In case of an overdose immediately seek the doctors consult
• As avised by the doctor, the dose and duration of the medication should be strictly followed
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Drug interactions are very common when two or more drugs are taken together. Some potent drugs that can interact with Erytop 1% gel 20 mg are-
• Avoid the medication if you are allergic to antibiotics
• It should not be taken with Gentamicin as it increases the risk of kidney diseases
• Avoid concurrent use Erytop and Cholera Vaccine up to 14 days of usage
• Avoid concurrent administration of the drug with Neuromuscular blockers as it causes moderate side-effects
• Avoid taking it with other drugs used for acne as it causes adverse reactions
• This can decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills (Ethinyl estradiol), increasing the chances of pregnancy
When to avoid taking the drug
- Avoid taking the medication if the patient is allergic to the medication.
- Avoid its usage if the patient is having impaired renal function or kidney diseases
- If a person is having a history of respiratory diseases like asthma, Hay fever then that person should avoid Erytop treatment.
- Avoid taking Erytop if you are having any Intestinal disorders
- It is not recommended if the patient is having a family history of myasthenia gravis because of having high chances of muscle weakness
- It is not to be given to the children less than 12 years of age
Things to avoid when using the drug
When taking Erytop 1% gel 20 mg (Clindamycin Phosphate) avoid consumption of:
- Alcohol- Consuming alcohol with Erytop gel is not recommended
- Do not stop the medication in between the treatment even when you feel completely healthy without consulting your doctor.
- Avoid this medicine if you are suffering from kidney disease
- Avoid taking Erytop if you are having any liver diseases
- Avoid taking the drug if you are having a history of Intestinal diseases
General Information and Precautions
• The medicine must be protected from the reach of children.
• Inform the doctor about your medical history
• Alcohol- Consumption of alcohol with Erytop gel is not safe and its consumption should be avoided
• Pregnancy- The medication should not be administered to pregnant women as it affects the foetus.
• Lactation- the medication is avoided during lactation strictly
- Erytop 1% gel 20 mg tablets must be stored away from the reach of kids
- It must be stored at room temperature (25-30 degrees Celsius)/ (68-78 F)
- Special care must be taken for the protection of the drug against moisture and light
- It should be keep out of reach from the children
- Packaging should not be removed until it is time to take the drug
- Do not use this medicine after it expires
General FAQs regarding the drug
Can the treatment be stopped once the patient feels better?
Ans. No, it is not advised to stop the treatment in between as it may lead disease to come back and may cause very serious complications.
Can it be taken without physician's consent?
Ans. No, It is not suggested to take the gel without physicians consult as it may lead to causing more side effects than treating the disease.
Can the use of Erytop gel lead to diarrhoea?
Ans. Generally, it is safe to apply Erytop gel but if the gel is used in excess then it may lead to diarrhoea. This may be because it leads to colon inflammation
Is it a habit-forming drug?
Ans. No. it is not a habit-forming medication. It is to be taken only on the prescription of a doctor.
GoodRxmedicine is entirely unrelated to GoodRx in any way or form. We hereby deny any sponsorship, endorsement, or affiliation between GoodRx.com USA and Goodrxmedicine.com India. GoodRxmedicine is an Indian online Pharmacy only dealing in selling generic medicines in compliance with the law to its full extent of the Republic of India.The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at [email protected]