Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About the brand name of the drug:
Dizone 250mg is a tablet used in the treatment of chronic alcoholism ( large amount of intake of alcohol affecting mental and health conditions). It discourages the use of alcohol and does not cure alcoholism. Dizone 250mg is currently being manufactured by Ozone Pharmaceuticals Ltd, India. These tablets are marketed in the USA under the brand name Antabuse. It comes in a round shaped white colored tablet with INR 25.
About the drug:
Dizone 250mg is used to treat chronic alcoholism. It is taken orally with water. It’s therapeutic effect is due to its active ingredient i.e. Disulfiram. Disulfiram should not be started unless a patient has stopped alcohol for 12 hours. The initial dose is 500mg every day for 2 weeks whereas maintenance dose is 250mg given daily.
The strip usually consists of 10 tablets. These are usually round shaped and white colored. There are alternative brands which contain the same amount of Disulfiram:
• Esperal 250 mg- Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
• Deadict 250 mg- Manufactured by Psychotropics India Ltd.
• Sufital 250 mg- Manufactured by Talent Healthcare.
• Quit 250mg- Manufactured by Nukind Healthcare Ltd.
About the salt of the drug:
Disulfiram is the active salt content of the given medication and is responsible for the therapeutic properties of the drug. It provides support to the treatment of chronic alcoholism by causing an acute sensitivity towards ethanol. It is an inhibitor of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme. It causes unpleasant effects even when small amount of alcohol is consumed. The effects begin within 10 minutes of alcohol ingestion and lasts for an hour.
Medical uses of the drug:
Apart from causing a support in the treatment of chronic alcoholism, Dizone is used in various other diseases:
• This medication used along with counselling to support treatment of alcoholism.
• Mood disorders related to chronic alcoholism.
• Alcohol Dependence – uncontrolled drinking and preoccupation with alcohol.
Working of the drug:
Dizone 250 mg exerts its action through Disulfiram. Disulfiram interferes in the way our body metabolizes alcohol. Alcohol get metabolized into aldehyde. Acetaldehyde further metabolizes to acetic acid in presence of enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. Disulfiram blocks enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and hence building up acetaldehyde levels in the body. High acetaldehyde levels reacts with alcohol and causes unpleasant symptoms like
• flushing of face
• chest pain
Dizone 250mg is associated with a large number of side effects.
• Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
• Bradycardia- abnormal heartbeats
• Metallic/ garlic-like taste
• Rashes and swelling – face, tongue and throat.
• Hepatitis – inflammation in liver cells.
• Muscle weakness
• Tingling of arms and legs
• Vision changes
• Impotence- decreased sexual ability
If the side effects worsen , immediately contact the doctor.
How to use:
Follow all the instructions given by your doctor to avoid unnecessary complications:
• Follow dosing regimen prescribed by your physician
• Dizone initial dosage: 500 mg is taken once a day.
• The drug should be continued once patient develops self-control
• Swallow this tablet completely with water, juice or soft drinks.
• If unable to swallow, crush it and mix it with water or juice.
• Seek emergency medical treatment or consult a doctor in case of overdose.
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine:
Below are some of the drug interactions commonly observed with Dizone 250mg:
• Warfarin – this medication increases the effect of warfarin and hence increases bleeding.
• Phenytoin( antiepileptic drugs ) :Dizone increases the blood levels of phenytoin in the body
• Isoniazid: develop significant changes in mental status.
• Liquid form of Ritonavir: it contains alcohol and causes severe reaction with disulfiram.
• Intranasal cocaine: Dizone increases cocaine in the blood and causes increase in toxic effects.
When to avoid taking this drug:
There are many circumstances where you must avoid taking Dizone 250mg as it can lead to complications:
• Allergy- when you have any sensitivity reactions towards composition of Dizone 250 mg, it is always advisable to avoid taking this medication.
• Avoid all alcohol beverages or alcohol containing products. Otherwise it may cause headache, dizziness, mental confusion etc.
• Dizone 250 mg is contraindicated in those suffering from heart disease
• Dizone 250 mg is contraindicated in those suffering from mental disorders like psychosis
• Alcohol: unsafe, may worsen the side effects.
Things to avoid while taking this drug:
Always remember to avoid following mentioned items:
• Alcohol consumption : it is unsafe as it will worsen the side effects of the medication.
• Avoid sauces, vinegar and alcohol containing products: may worsen the symptoms.
• Inform the doctor about any other drugs you are taking to avoid harmful interactions.
• Always use Dizone 250 mg after medical consultation since it is an alcohol-abuse inhibitor
• Take the medication exactly once a day only.
• Inform your physician about any sort of disturbances the patient experience when taking this drug
• Do not alter the dosage unless suggested by your doctor
• Can take with any food except alcohol containing products
• Do not breathe the fumes of paint, thinner or varnish.
• Pregnancy- Dizone 250 mg have shown adverse effects on reproduction studies on animal fetus and limited study on humans. It is hence unsafe and should be avoided.
• Lactation- limited human data suggest that the drug could represent significant damage to the fetus. Hence, it is not advisable to take the drug during lactation period.
• Alcohol consumption is usually not recommended when taking this medication
• Driving and operating heavy machinery- avoid these activities since they can lead to dizziness induced accidents.
• Organs: liver and kidneys are affected the most. This medication decreases the liver and kidney functioning in the body.
This drug must be stored under proper conditions in order to maintain stability :
• Do not keep this medication near heat as it can lead to degradation. Recommended storage temperature 20-25 degree Celsius.
• In order to prohibit the entry of moisture, keep the tablets in tightly closed packing
• Keep them away from the reach of children and pets: put it in a safe location.
• Expired tablet should be disposed properly and not to be flushed.
• Direct sunlight is not suitable for this medication
General FAQs regarding the drug:
Is Dizone 250 mg over-the-counter drug ?
Ans. Dizone 250 mg is not an over the counter medication. It is a prescription drug and should be used only after consulting the doctor with proper dosage regimen.
How long will the drug take to show its action?
Ans. It is observed that Dizone 250 mg takes about 2 to 12 hours to show its action. The effects will last for 2 weeks.
Is there a risk of habit formation while using this medication?
Ans. No. There are no reports showing habit-forming tendencies of this drug.
At what frequency do I need to use Dizone 250 mg?
Ans. Usually it is a maintenance dose and taken once or twice daily with a lap of 12 hours. But consult a doctor for dosage regimen.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at email@example.com