Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
About brand name of the drug
Amlip 5 mg (Amlodipine) is the brand manufactured by an Indian based renowned company Cipla limited. This drug is available in the form of solid tablets as an oral dosage form into the market. This drug contains “Amlodipine” as its main active pharmaceutical ingredient which is very much effective in the treatment of heart related diseases such as coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, angina etc. and their associated symptoms. This drug is widely used throughout the world and available easily everywhere.
About the drug
Amlip 5 mg (Amlodipine) consists of Amlodipine as its main active pharmaceutical ingredient. This medicine is available into different strengths such as 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg and can also be used in its solution form of strength 1mg/ml. This medicine is available in the blister pack sizes and having 10 tablets per strip. It is available easily at medical shops, online e- pharmacies, hospitals etc.
Some other brands equivalent to Amlip 5 mg (Amlodipine) in the USA are:
About salt of the drug
Amlodipine is a drug which belongs to calcium channel blocker class. Calcium ion channels
L- type (long lasting) channels which are present at the transmembrane of the vascular and cardiac muscle cells through which movement of calcium ions occurs from outside of the cells takes place (because of high concentration of calcium ions outside the cell as compared to inside the cell) inside the vascular muscle cells and cardiac muscle cells and resulting into contraction of both muscles. Amlodipine causes inhibition of this calcium ion channel which results into inhibition of movement of calcium ions into the vascular and cardiac muscle cells and prevents contraction of both the muscle cells, causes dilation of vascular smooth muscles and reduction of peripheral vascular resistance (resistance to blood flow through arteries) and helps in the reduction of elevated blood pressure. This helps into prevention of excessive constriction in the coronary blood vessels and provides relief from chest pain and other associated symptoms of coronary artery disease.
Medical Uses of the drug
Amlip 5 mg is very much effective and useful into the treatment of various medical conditions mentioned as follows:
- Hypertension (a long-term medical condition in which abnormal elevation in the blood pressure takes place due to some genetic factors, environmental factors (stress, smoking etc.) and causes strain on heart and its blood vessels.
- Coronary artery disease (a medical condition which occurs due to narrowing of coronary arteries and causes reduction into the blood flow to heart)
- Angina pectoris (it is a temporary heart pain which occurs because of decrease into blood flow to the heart and is a symptom of coronary heart disease)
Working of a drug
Amlip 5 mg (Amlodipine) consists of Amlodipine as its main generic salt which causes inhibition of specific L- type (Long lasting) calcium ion channels present at the transmembrane of the vascular smooth and cardiac muscle cells through which movement of calcium ions takes place from the outside into inside of the cells (because of high concentration of calcium ions outside the cell compared to inside the cell) and resulting into contraction of these cells. Thus, Amlip prevents the contraction of these cardiac and vascular smooth muscle cells and provides dilation of these cells which ultimately results into decrease in the elevated high blood pressure, reduced chest pain and other associated symptoms of coronary heart disease. Therefore, Amlip is very much effective in the treatment of high blood pressure, chest pain and coronary artery disease. It is effective for an average period of 24 hours till the next dose.
Though Amlip 5 mg (Amlodipine) does not cause any severe side effects if it is used at a normal dose but sometimes it causes some common side effects mentioned as follows:
- flushing of face, ears, neck and trunk
- stomach upset
- swelling of hands, ankles, feet and lower legs
- skin rashes
- muscle weakness and cramps
- excessive tiredness
In case of appearance of any of the symptoms mentioned above, kindly consult to your doctor immediately without any delay.
How to use
Amlip is a medicine meant to be taken according to the manner in which it is prescribed by the doctor and follow all the instructions mentioned as follows:
- Recommended daily dose is 5 mg once a day and maximum dose can be taken up to 10 mg once a day.
- In case of children aged between 6-17 years old, recommended dose is 2.5mg once a day and maximum dose up to 5 mg once a day can be given.
- Do not break, chew and crush the contents of the tablet, swallow it as a whole.
- Do not take overdose of this drug as it may leads to undesirable effects onto the body.
- Take the medicine always at the fixed time and in case of missed dose it is recommended to take the next dose at the usual time.
- Take medicine with or without water as per directed by the doctor.
- Take this medicine with or without food as per directed by the doctor.
- In case of older patients and patients with liver problems recommended dose is 2.5 mg once a day daily.
- Do not take overdose of the medicine as it may cause adverse effects onto the body
- Store the medicine at a cool & dry place, away from the direct light.
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Drug interaction takes place when two or more drugs are taken simultaneously at the same time. Drugs which shows interaction along with amlip are described below:
- other calcium channel blockers: verapamil, diltiazem
- Antiviral drugs: sunaprevir, ombitasvir, ritonavir
- Antibiotics: rifampicin
- Skeletal muscle relaxants: dantrolene
- Anticancer drugs (mTOR inhibitors): temsirolimus, everolimus, sirolimus
- Immuno suppresant drugs: tacrolimus, cyclosporin
- Antifungal drugs: itraconazole, ketoconazole
- Lipid lowering agents: simvastatin, atorvastatin
- Anti epilepsy drugs: carbamazepine
- Oral Corticosteroids: dexamethasone
- Angiotensin receptor blockers for high blood pressure): losartan
When to avoid taking the drug
This drug should not be used in the following medical conditions described as follows:
- Liver related disorders: hepatitis C
- Kidney related disorders
- allergy related to calcium channel blockers
- heart related diseases (heart attack, stroke, cardiogenic shock, chest pain etc.)
- patients having previous history of allergic reactions after use of amlodipine
- hypotension (low blood pressure)
Things to avoid when using the drug
Avoid the consumption of following things described as follows:
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages as it may leads to dizziness, fainting, sleepiness etc.
- Avoid use of grapefruit juice and its related products along with this medicine as it may leads to severe side effects like swelling of feet and hands, dizziness and may decrease the effectiveness of the drug.
- Avoid to take other calcium channel blockers along with amlodipine as it may results into serious adverse effects.
- Before buying amlip tablets, kindly check its expiry date mentioned onto the pack size.
General Information and Precautions
- Keep this medicine away from children and pets.
- This medicine is not meant to be used by children less than 6 years old.
- It is not advisable to take overdose of this medicine as it may leads to adverse effects and consult your doctor after the appearance of symptoms immediately without any delay.
- In case of missed dose, kindly take the next dose at the usual fixed time.
- This medicine is not meant to be used along with other calcium channel blockers as it may leads to serious adverse effects.
- It is not advisable to take this medicine by patients having previous history of allergic reactions after intake of this medicine.
- Close monitoring of liver function and kidney function is required by doctors in case of use of this medicine by patients having kidney and liver related issues.
- Alcohol- Amlip is not recommended to be taken along with alcoholic beverages as it may results into dizziness, fainting, headache etc.
- Pregnancy- This drug is not advisable to be taken by the pregnant women as it causes fetal life’s risk as per available clinical studies data done on animals and humans.
- Driving- This medicine is not meant to be used while driving and doing any heavy machinery related work as it may leads to blurring of vision, drowsiness, fainting, dizziness, headache etc.
- Medical conditions- It is not advisable to use this medicine in patients suffering from hypotension, liver and kidney related disorders and heart related problems like cardiogenic shock, chest pain etc.
- Organs- Organs like kidney, liver are affected as it may leads to impairment of their functions upon its long-term usage.
- Lactation- This medicine is not meant to be used during lactation as it is found that drug gets excreted out along with milk during feeding which is dangerous for infant’s life.
- Elderly patients- Recommended dose of this medicine is 2.5-5 mg once a day in case of elderly patients aged 65 years or above 65 years old.
- Store this medicine at a cool and dry place away from moisture.
- Store the drug at a temperature in between 15º- 30º C.
- Keep this drug away from contact with direct heat and light.
- Do not use the drug after its expiry date mentioned onto its pack size.
General FAQs regarding the drug
How much time will be taken by the drug to show its peak action?
Ans. The drug will show its peak action within 2 hours after its intake.
Does it safe to do exercise while taking this medicine?
Ans. Yes, it is absolutely safe to do exercise while taking this medicine.
Does it a habit-forming drug?
Ans. No, it is not a habit-forming drug and completely safe for use.
Does it safe for use in old aged patients?
Ans. Yes, it is absolutely safe for use in case of elderly patients aged 65 years or above 65 years old.
The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org