and enjoy FREE SHIPPING
Januvia 50 mg
|Manufacturer||MSD Pharmaceuticals, India|
|Label of unit||1 Tablet/s|
About the brand name of the drug
Januvia 50 mg (Sitagliptin) is an anti-diabetic drug which is used alone or in combination with other anti-diabetics, to reduce blood sugar levels, in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is manufactured by India based MSD Pharmaceuticals. The active pharmaceutical ingredient present in Januvia 50 mg that is responsible for its anti-diabetic action is Sitagliptin phosphate monohydrate. It can be prescribed alone or with other antidiabetics like insulin, metformin, etc.
About the drug
Januvia 50 mg (Sitagliptin) is a schedule H drug in the form of tablets which consists of Sitagliptin phosphate monohydrate as its active pharmaceutical ingredient. It helps in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus by increasing the production of insulin in the body and reduces the blood glucose level by decreasing the amount of glucose produced in the body. It is available in the strengths of 25 mg, 50 mg and 100 mg. It is easily available in nearby chemist shops, online pharmacies or local drug stores.
Some other brands equivalent to Januvia 50 mg (Sitagliptin) are:
- Istavel 50 mg tablet
- Zita 50 mg tablet
About salt of the drug
Januvia 50 mg consists of Sitagliptin phosphate monohydrate as its active pharmaceutical ingredient. Sitagliptin belongs to the class of DPP 4 (Dipeptidyl peptidase-4) inhibitors which help in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus which is also called non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. It shows the anti-diabetic action by increasing the production of insulin and by decreasing the production of glucose in the body. Thus, it helps in lowering the blood glucose level which is very high in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is prescribed along with a dietary and exercise plan.
Medical Uses of the drug
Januvia 50 mg (Sitagliptin) is used for the treatment of the following:
- Type 2 diabetes (Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus)
Type 2 diabetes mellitus or Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus is a condition of the body in which can be characterized by high blood sugar levels, decreased sensitivity to insulin along with the relative lack of insulin secretion. It occurs as a result of an unhealthy lifestyle, obesity and lack of exercise. The symptoms for type 2 diabetes mellitus include frequent urination, increased appetite and thirst, sudden loss of weight and tiredness. In the long term, complications like heart and kidney disorders, diabetic retinopathy, etc can also arise due to type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Working of the drug
Januvia 50 contains Sitagliptin phosphate monohydrate as the active pharmaceutical ingredient. Sitagliptin is an anti-diabetic which belong to the class of DPP 4 inhibitors. It acts by blocking the DPP 4 receptors and suppressing the degradation of incretins. Incretins are responsible to augment the insulin secretion after meals to manage the blood glucose level. Thus, sitagliptin helps to normalise the defective insulin and glucagon secretion, thereby reduces the increased blood glucose level and helps in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Certain side effects may be associated with the use of Januvia 50 mg tablets and some of those side effects are mentioned below.
Some severe side effects of Januvia 50 mg includes:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blurred vision
Some other common side effects of Januvia 50 mg includes:
- Sore throat
Please inform your doctor immediately if you experience any of the above-listed side effects longer than usual.
How to use
Januvia 50 mg should be used exactly as it is directed by the doctor. One should keep the following information in mind while using Januvia 50 mg:
- Januvia 50 mg can be taken with or without food or as advised by the doctor. It is good to take it at a fixed time for more effective results.
- Take Januvia 50 mg as a whole with a full glass of water.
- Do not break, crush or chew the Januvia 50 mg tablets.
- Regularly monitor blood glucose level during the treatment with Januvia 50 mg.
- Keep at sugar candy with you all the time to overcome extreme low blood glucose levels during the treatment.
Drugs that are known to interact with this medicine
Januvia 50 mg tablet is known to interact with a number of drugs that can alter the effect of either or both of the medications when co-administered with each other. Some of these drugs that show interactions with Januvia 50 mg are as follows:
- Antibiotics like gatifloxacin
- Antipsychotics like clozapine
- Diuretics like acetazolamide
- Antihypertensives like benazepril
- Immunosuppressants like cyclosporine
Avoid taking these drugs with Januvia 50 mg. It is advised to discuss with a doctor or pharmacist for more information.
When to avoid taking the drug
- Januvia 50 mg (Sitagliptin) should only be taken when it is prescribed by a doctor. It should be avoided in conditions which are mentioned below.
- Januvia 50 mg should not be used when you are allergic to Sitagliptin or any other ingredients present in Januvia 50 mg.
- It is not recommended to use Januvia 50 mg in patients suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis due to increased risk of patient’s worsening condition.
- It should also be avert for use in patients suffering from type 1 diabetes mellitus.
Things to avoid when using the drug
Certain things that are to be avoided while using Januvia 50 mg are stated as follows:
- Do not skip any dose and neither do you take a double dose of Januvia 50 mg.
- Do not take the dose on your own decision, take the dose as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not stop the medicine without prior consultation with your doctor.
- Do not use heavy machinery or drive after taking a dose of Januvia 50 mg.
General Information and Precautions
Januvia 50 mg should be taken exactly as it is instructed by the doctor and the following information should be kept in mind while using it.
- The dose of Januvia 50 mg should not be taken more or less than instructed by the doctor.
- This medicine should be taken with a full glass of water and must not be broken, crushed or chewed.
- It is advised to always carry a sugar supplement during Januvia treatment to counteract sudden low blood glucose levels.
- Monitor blood sugar level regularly to avoid any mishappening.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol is not recommended during treatment with Januvia 50 mg as it can increase the risk of severe side effects.
- Pregnancy: Januvia 50 mg is not recommended to be used in pregnant women unless it is absolutely necessary. All the risk and benefits should be discussed with the doctor before taking Januvia 50 mg.
- Driving: It is advised not to drive or use heavy machinery after taking Januvia 50 mg as it can lead to serious consequences.
- Age: Januvia 50 mg is not recommended for use in children and adolescents. Your doctor can prescribe you other alternatives in place of Januvia 50 mg.
- Lactation: Januvia 50 mg is not recommended for use in lactating women unless it is the only option. Consult your doctor and discuss all the risks and benefits before taking Januvia 50 mg.
Januvia 50 mg should be stored under the conditions as stated in the label.
- It should be kept in tightly closed containers and should also be protected from direct sunlight and moisture.
- It should be ensured that it is kept unreachable to children and animals.
- It should be kept at room temperature and shall not be exposed to high temperature and moisture
- Do not keep Januvia 50 mg in the kitchen or in the bathroom.
General FAQs regarding the drug
How should I use this medication? Should I crush or chew the tablets?
Ans. Take Januvia 50 mg with a full glass of water with or without food. Take it as a whole and do not break, crush or chew the Januvia 50 mg tablets.
What dose should I take?
Ans. The dose of Januvia 50 mg tablets depends upon the condition of the patient and is prescribed by the doctor. Do not take the dose on your own decision and consult to your doctor if you feel any adverse effects from the given dose.
What if I miss a dose?
Ans. Do not miss any dose of Januvia 50 mg as it can cause serious complications but even if you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible unless it is time for the next dose.
|Manufacturer||MSD Pharmaceuticals, India|
|Label of unit||1 Tablet/s|