Dr. Akansha is a licensed Clinical Pharmacologist with extensive expertise in pharmacovigilance, prescription analysis, drug information, and safety. She's a dedicated educator and avid learner. Dr. Akansha also reviews medical content on GoodRx Medicine, ensuring accurate pharmaceutical information is accessible to all.
What is Androcur
Androcur 50, containing Cyproterone, is effective in treating Prostate Cancer in men.
It lowers the levels of Testosterone and suppresses their action in the body.
This medicine is also effective in reducing abnormal sex drive in men.
It is a prescription-based medicine available only with a doctor's prescription.
Bayer Schering is a renowned pharmaceutical company that manufactures this medicine.
What is Androcur 50mg used for?
It is prescribed to treat Prostate Cancer.
In males, Prostate Gland is in the shape of a walnut that generates the seminal fluid to nourish and transport sperm.
Symptoms of Prostate Cancer include blood in the urine, trouble urinating, decreased force in the stream of urine, blood in the semen, losing weight without trying, etc.
It is also prescribed to treat abnormal sex drive in men.
How does Androcur work
Androgens, such as Testosterone, are essential for the growth of Prostate Cancer cells.
The main ingredient of Androcur 50mg is Cyproterone, which has Anti-Androgenic properties.
This medicine blocks Testosterone from reaching the cancer cells.
It prevents Androgens from binding to Androgen receptors in Prostate Cancer cells.
As a result, the cancer cells lack the Androgens they require to grow.
Thus, slowing or stopping the growth of Prostate Cancer.
It also lowers the levels of Testosterone in the body, leading to a decrease in abnormal sex drive.
How to take Androcur 50
Always take it as your doctor prescribes. These few tips might help you.
- After meals, swallow the whole tablet. Avoid crushing, breaking, or grinding it
- It frequently induces fatigue or a lack of strength. However, these symptoms diminish after three months of treatment
- As long as your doctor instructs you to continue taking your medication. This drug should not be discontinued, even if the patient's condition improves
- It is advisable to take the correct dose, not more or less
- You should avoid the chances of overdose as it can cause side effects
- Get medical help immediately if you somehow take the overdose
Androcur 50mg side effects
You might not experience any adverse effects if you adhere to your doctor's prescription.
Some side effects include:
- Decreased libido
- Breast enlargement in men
- Abdominal pain
- Weight gain
- Increased liver enzymes
- Breast tenderness
- Anemia (low number of red blood cells)
- Decreased appetite
- Hot flashes
These effects are temporary. Visit your doctor if it causes you any concern.
Androcur may interact with certain medicines and diseases. Learn about all the possible interactions.
Some medicines can change how Androcur 50 mg works, or this medicine can make other medicines less effective when taken with them.
Discuss all the medicinal interactions with your doctor before taking Androcur 50mg:
People with these conditions should cautiously use Cyproterone as it can have some severe interactions.
- Liver disease
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Depressive tendencies
- Cardiac disease
- Circulation disease
- Blood clots
Precautions Before taking Androcur 50
Androcur 50mg has some contraindications. Use it with caution:
- Your physician must monitor your progress at regular visits
- This medication may cause some patients to experience drowsiness, dizziness, or less alertness. Avoid driving or doing anything that requires alertness
- Cyproterone may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight
- Even brief exposure to sunlight can cause skin rashes, irritation, redness or other discoloration of the skin, and severe sunburns
- Whenever possible, avoid direct sunlight
- Use a sunblock with an SPF of at least 15. Some patients may require a sun blocker with a higher SPF
- Avoid using sunlamps, tanning beds, and booths
- If you have a severe reaction to the sun, consult a physician immediately
- While using Cyproterone, it is essential to minimize your alcohol consumption
- You should store the tablets at room temperature and away from too much heat and moisture
- Keep this medicine away from the reach of children
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Cyproterone safe?
Cyproterone is safe when used at the prescribed doses and time as directed by your doctor.
What are the uses of Cyproterone?
Cyproterone belongs to the category of medicines known as Anti-androgens. It is used to treat Prostate Cancer in men and reduces abnormal sex drive. It inhibits and reduces the effects of the male sex hormone Testosterone in the body.
Can Anti androgens like Cyproterone cause hair loss?
No, Anti-androgen medications like Cyproterone do not cause hair loss. It slows down hair loss in men with typical male pattern baldness. Androgens are male sex hormones. Both men and women produce androgens, but men produce significantly more, which can cause hair loss.
Can Cyproterone cause Erectile Dysfunction?
Anti-androgen medications cause loss of libido and Erectile Dysfunction (ED), which are directly related to a reduction in testosterone levels.
What are the side effects of Cyproterone?
Side effects of Cyproterone include decreased libido, sleepiness, nausea, abdominal pain, indigestion, increased liver enzymes, breast tenderness, depression, decreased appetite, constipation, etc.
GoodRxmedicine is entirely unrelated to GoodRx in any way or form. We hereby deny any sponsorship, endorsement, or affiliation between GoodRx.com USA and Goodrxmedicine.com India. GoodRxmedicine is an Indian online Pharmacy only dealing in selling generic medicines in compliance with the law to its full extent of the Republic of India.The content on this page is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice, treatment, or diagnoses under any circumstances. Goodrxmedicine.com - India is an online Indian pharmacy dealing in Generic pharmaceutical products within the permissible extent of the law. Before self-medicating, consult a doctor if you have any doubts or questions related to your health. For any queries or concerns, write to us at [email protected]